Monday, October 8, 2012

Drilling Sea Glass

Drilling Sea Glass

On nice sunny days, which we have been having plenty of here lately on the Olympic Peninsula, I go out and drill sea glass. It's very noisy, so it seems more tolerable outside. (I also wear earplugs). Also, it creates a lot of dust, and I especially don't want that dust getting into my laptop. 

My little drilling table.

I use a flex-shaft attached to my dremel. The dremel is hanging up above on a hook on the  stair railing .


To drill sea glass, you need to drill in a little water.  Drilling on sea glass gets very hot. You also need to use a diamond burr type drill bit. 
You need to hold the piece of sea glass very firmly with the other hand when drilling.
In this shot, I am taking the picture and not drilling.



I use drilled sea glass in my sun catchers, and jewelry. 
You can purchase this sun catcher from my Etsy shop!











No comments:

Post a Comment